Karl Dowden no longer represents landlords and tenants in commercial or residential landlord-tenant litigation, however he can recommend landlord-tenant attorneys to assist those who may need legal advice in the New York City metropolitan area. 

A summary proceeding is the expedited version of a typical lawsuit. The intent of the system is to resolve matters in substantially less time than a typical lawsuit so the parties have limited rights to discovery. Most cases to remove persons and/or businesses from property in New York State require the commencement of a summary proceeding.

In a summary proceeding, the person commencing the proceeding is referred to as the petitioner (as opposed to a plaintiff) and the opposing party is referred to as the respondent (as opposed to a defendant). A notice of petition and petition (as opposed to a summons and complaint) are the documents necessary to commence the summary proceeding.

For landlord-tenant litigation, a summary proceeding will either involve a non-payment proceeding or a holdover proceeding.

[Back to Landlord-Tenant Litigation FAQs]

The content provided in this section of the website is for general information purposes only and should not in any event be construed to be legal advice. Further, said information may be outdated and will only apply to certain jurisdictions.